One of the oldest sports in history is still alive and well here at PTHS. The Boys wrestling team, coached by Mr. Hewitt, Mr. Lamola and Mr. Federico are looking to improve on their 11-19 record of last year. The Stinger sat down with Joe Wilson and asked him some questions about the team and his individual goals this year.
- What are you looking forward to for this upcoming season?
Joe Wilson- I’m mostly looking forward to watching this year’s freshman grow and learn that there is so much potential within them.
- How did you get started in this sport?
Joe Wilson- I was born into it, my dad wrestled at RV, my brother wrestled and all my cousins did as well.
- What are your team expectations for this season?
Joe Wilson- I expect a lot this year from us plenty of region qualifiers on this team if we wrestle well. We have many experienced wrestlers and we have good team chemistry.
- Who are some of the big pieces for the team this year?
Joe Wilson- Some of the big pieces for this year are Domenic Rodriguez and Dawson Simons. They are two experienced wrestlers who will definitely help our program win.
- What is your favorite aspect of your sport?
Joe Wilson- I like the individuality, the fact that it is just you and your opponent out there, it is so different from the other sports.
- What are your individual goals for this sport?
Joe Wilson- I NEED to make the state podium this year, meaning that I will be one of the top 8 wrestlers in the state. I have been training hard in the offseason and my work will pay off.
- What is your favorite matchup?
Joe Wilson- RV because of the competitiveness and rivalry.
- For people considering coming out this season, why should they do so?
Joe Wilson- They should come out because its fun simply that nothing is more exciting than beating a person and seeing their eyes as you get your hand raised, it’s the best feeling in the world.